Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Playing around with pens in class


Don't worry --- it was a boring class.

Y'know, I really should write longer posts, but I'm... well, I could say I'm not very talkative, but that would be a complete and total lie. I can go on and on about stuff from time to time. Due to the way I write these posts - on the spot, spur-of-the-moment and such - I may not think of anything - I mean, this is an art blog --- and I use "art" since it's shorter than writing "drawing/painting/digital drawing-or-painting/animation", not in the sense that there' any sort of divine inspiration gleaming behind it. I see art as a craft -- nevermind the occasions where I talk of feel or flow of something-or-other. It only seems like magic because I'm not advanced enough to understand the science.

Before I went digressing, I was going to say, that as an art blog, the post is really just a vechile for me to go "Art here, come look" so there isn't really much point in writing a very long post to accompany the image --- after all, a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

Anyway, pens are fun - they're more organic and whimsical than doing stuff digitally --- of course, you cannot fix any mistakes, but that's part of the fun, in my opinion. I like the large black areas - the scanner is quite merciless there, the variation in blackness isn't quite that large in the original.

I'm not very familiar with using pens, so that's why it looks so horrible... which is to say, I'm not very fond of this picture. I did like doing it - looking at it, not so much. The fingers look nice and strong, though.

I haven't mastered my rubble drawing skills yet. I wonder if there's a guide--- Surely there is, there's a guide to everything in the internet, right? I just can't find it right now. If someone finds one, drop a comment, okay?

Okay, I have, like, zillion Firefox tabs open right now. Random link: MakingTheFilm.com

Three Panel Soul is the new comic by Ian McConville and Matt Boyd.

I think it's time I resumed work on the next comic, by the way. But I have so much schoolwork. Well, I'll try to get some work done, on something-or-other.

Oh, and I finally finished "American Gods". I spotted a cameo of Delirium there, as well as a homage to Death. I'm sure there's more....

The book mentions a silent movie era star called Louise Brooks. Youtube has some videos, and... well, I'm not sure if it's a silent movie thing or what, but there's this sort of exaggerated way of moving they seem to use, which relates to what I've learned of animation. Interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A roight noice GD there, eh?

Hmm... Looks like the original battle on Saturn vs. the real one.

Esa Karjalainen said...

Except for Saturn being a chibi. That's an interesting idea, though.